Orthodontics for Children: 7-10 years old:
Along with the American Association of Orthodontists, we recommend that a child receive their first orthodontic screening by the age 8. By examining a child early, we are able to recognize potential problems early and correct them before they become more serious. This is particularly important if your child exhibits any of the following:
- Thumb sucking, or other oral habits
- Mouth breathing
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Severe crowding of teeth
- Very protruded teeth
- Crossbite (upper teeth biting inside the bottom teeth)
- Imbalance of the jaws- ex. upper jaw too far forward or back
Some orthodontic problems, if left untreated, can lead to a more serious problem down the road. Many other orthodontic issues can wait until comprehensive orthodontic treatment, around the time most of the permanent teeth are in.
At your child’s initial evaluation, we will determine if their orthodontic issues require immediate attention or if they would benefit from monitoring. If early treatment is required, a personalized treatment plan will be provided to you. If orthodontic treatment is not necessary, we are happy to monitor your child’s development as part of our Growth Guidance Forest Rangers program, free of charge.
To find out if your child is a candidate for early interceptive treatment, contact us today to schedule a complimentary consultation. 416-921-6772
Orthodontics for Teens:
The ideal time to correct many orthodontic problems is during adolescence, around age 11-17. During this time, the permanent teeth have finished coming into the mouth and the jaws are continuing to grow. Many orthodontic problems can be corrected during this time, including:
- Crowding of teeth
- Spacing of teeth
- Crossbite- upper teeth inside lower teeth
- “Overbite”- upper jaw ahead of the lower jaw
- Deep bite- upper teeth too strongly overlapping the lower teeth, leading to damage over time
- Open bite- teeth not touching in the front, leading to wear on the back teeth over time
- Underbite- lower teeth and jaw ahead of the top teeth
- Habits- oral habits if present, should be eliminated at this time
At Forest Hill Orthodontics we have many treatment options to make you smile. We offer metal braces, clear braces, and Invisalign Teen. Studies have shown that people with straight teeth smile more confidently. Don’t go through middle school and high school being self conscious of your smile:
Book a complimentary consultation here and find out how we can improve your confidence!